I guess I should have given myself a little more credit… hand sewing the binding was not as hard or time consuming as I thought it would be. I really was not looking forward to this step since I thought it would really slow down the progress of the quilt.
After reading a new-to-me tutorial regarding hand sewing the binding (from Amy’s Creative Side), I decided that I would try to get as far with it as I could before asking for help. Amy’s method really worked for me and was fast (or as fast as hand sewing can be). Honestly, I was anticipating the binding stage taking a couple weeks (given how long it had taken me to hand sew the binding on a couple doll quilts in the past and given that three little girls are vying for my attention throughout the day), not a day and a half.
I took advantage of every free moment on Wednesday and Thursday and then, surprisingly to me, I was done! It was so cozy to have the quilt laying over me while I worked (I had to have the fans on high so I did not get too hot, given our 100+°F heat!). I cannot get over how soft the flannel backing is. I love it. I also loved looking over the blocks while I worked; thinking of everyone that contributed to the process.
I will get pictures of the full quilt this evening, when the light is good, and post the pictures tonight.
I also completed a couple of pot holders for Errick’s wife to include with the quilt. These are the first pot holders I have made and I used Melanie’s instructions to help put them together. (Thanks Melanie!)
Now all I have left to do is finish up the little book that tells the story of the quilt. And I anticipate putting the care package in the mail on Monday!!!