SIZE: ~ 17″ x 21″
FABRIC: a charm pack of Clementine by Me and My Sister Designs for Moda
DESIGN: off-center square in square
QUILTING: by machine; straight line grid pattern
BINDING: mostly purple plaid (Paisleys on Parade by Tammy Tadd for Camelot Cottons); machine sewn to front and back
INSPIRED BY: the idea of finding mostly purple and pink fabric
FOR: my youngest niece’s 7th birthday
How ’bout that? I finished a quilt this year! I got a little of my quilting mojo back after doing my blocks for The Fussy Cut Bee so I decided it was high time to finish this little quilt. Granted I started it last June and it is only a doll sized quilt, but that’s beside the point.
This is the first time I’ve done straight line quilting (or mostly straight) using my walking foot (for all my other quilts I’ve meandered; is that a word?). I didn’t realize how much puffier it would make the quilt after washing it.
I created a grid pattern around the blocks on the front and used a variegated pastel-y thread. As I quilted it, the fabric got a little distorted/pulled with each pass of the walking foot (is that normal?).
I used the plaid for the binding with just one piece of Clementine added in. I machine sewed the binding to both the front and the back. This is the third time I’ve tried this method (rather than hand stitching the back) and I am finally getting results that I am happy with. I referenced Rita’s (of Red Pepper Quilts) binding tutorial this time and that’s probably what made the difference. I still haven’t figured out how to join the binding ends together on the bias after it’s been sewn to the quilt. I’ll save that for another day.
I attached a LULU BLOOM tag to the back (I had LULU BLOOM tags printed about 5 years ago when I thought I was going to make and sell baby items like burp clothes; that didn’t happen so these tags work great as quilt labels).
This doll quilt is going to my soon-to-be 7 year old niece for her birthday next week (it was supposed to be a Christmas gift…). Her favorite colors are purple and pink so hopefully she and her dollies will like the quilt. I still want to make a matching pillow for it, but don’t know that I’ll get to that before her birthday. I already made a coordinating mattress for her but never got a picture of it (it’s in another state now).
The quilt and mattress were made to go with the wooden doll bed from IKEA (pictured below) that fits her American Girl doll.