I am not completely out of my quilt-funk, but I am feeling more quilt-y lately. I appreciate the kind comments and encouraging feedback from my last post. I truly feel like quilting is my ART and, like most artists, my desire to create ART waxes and wanes. I am comforted knowing that my mojo will be back.
Surprisingly, I have a finish to report. Who would have thunk?!
Before I post any pictures I have to apologize for the quality of the photos. I finished this quilt so close to my deadline that it was still slightly damp from washing it when the recipient received it. So, I had no time to take pictures prior to gifting it. These pictures were taken in a windowless fluorescent-filled-light classroom.
I mentioned in my last post that I was putting together a baby quilt for my oldest daughter’s kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Hill. Prior to school starting, we found out Mrs. Hill was nine months pregnant. After that, it didn’t take long for me to come up with the idea to have the students help make a quilt for their teacher. Mrs. Hill had her baby right after school started and she just returned from maternity leave at the end of last month.
To personalize the quilt, I had the kids write their name on a pink or grey fabric square and I pieced those into the quilt top. I wanted the name blocks to blend into the quilt design (if you squint your eyes, they do!).
For my fabrics, I started with the Feather colorway of Red Letter Day and added other coordinating prints. I really like how the various fabrics work together. And I think the themes in the fabrics are appropriate for a kindergarten teacher: scissors, award ribbons (for the positive reinforcement required in the classroom setting), big ducks and little ducks (a teacher and her students), and text.
Interestingly, I would not have have used these fabrics together a year ago.
I’ve discovered that I inadvertently do something new with each quilt I make. With this quilt, several things happened:
- I explored fabric selection beyond a single collection AND
- I used fabric that I previously thought was too precious to cut into unless I had the *perfect* recipient and quilt design in mind AND
- I did not try to find the print I was missing from the Feather color way (the OCD fabric hoarder in me loves to complete fabric collations).
How ’bout that… I’m maturing as a quilter!
For the back of the quilt, I had enough fabric that I didn’t have to piece it, but I needed to incorporate a light grey strip so I had a place for my labels.
I stamped all of the label information using a variety of stamps. I used my new stamp for the date and to provide more details in the ‘made by’ area.
I straight-line quilted in a horizontal-vertical grid and then diagonally through the non-name squares. I bound the quilt in the pink/grey stripe from RLD but didn’t get a close-up shot of that in my haste to get these shots.
Another project completed, many more to tackle!